Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Healthy Breakfast for ESI...


Every Thursday I send breakfast in for my husband's sales team. They always enjoy what I make (homemade cinnamon rolls, scones, etc.), but last week I received super enthusiastic thanks for the breakfast I created. It consisted of yogurt that I thickened and flavored myself, fresh fruit, and homemade granola. I was told later that there were team members (who shall remain nameless, you know who you are, hehe) trying to sneak the leftovers out without anyone noticing. I take it as a great compliment. So in case you were part of that breakfast club and would like the details, here they are.


Honey Citrus Yogurt


1 quart Plain Yogurt (choose a good brand, use low fat if you would like)

3 Tbsp. Honey

2 tsp. Pure vanilla extract

the zest of 1 orange


  1. Line a seive with cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Place the yogurt in the cheesecloth and allow to drain for 2 hours. This makes the yogurt much thicker and richer.

  2. Place the yogurt in a bowl and stir in the honey, vanilla extract, and orange zest.

  3. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Fresh Fruit Topping


1 pint Strawberries, hulled and halved

1 pint Blueberries

1/2 pint Raspberries

1 Pineapple, peeled, cored, and diced

10 Fresh mint leaves


  1. Toss the fruit together (be gentle!) in a large bowl.

  2. Stack the mint leaves, roll them up like a cigar, and slice thinly with a paring knife. This will create delicate threads of mint (called "chiffonade"). Toss the mint in with the fruit.

Serve the yogurt and fruit with a good quality Granola and you'll have a delicious breakfast.

1 comment: